JJ Answers why all the violence is nobody's problem....

No, not JJ from Good Times, Jack Johnson. Many people will unfortunately only know him from his work, even as good as it is, on the Curious George Soundtrack but I've been a fan for about 5 years. He's a great guitar player and song writer and when one of my friends, Chris, stopped by to tell us all about his 2 year adventure in Hawaii he shared that he had the opportunity to meet Mr. Johnson on numerous occasions. This caused me to dig up my copy of On and On and that's when re-discovered the lyrics to Cookie Jar.

They seem eerily perfect in this time of School Shootings and general insanity. I'll even take some of the responsibility....

*******************************
I would turn on the tv, but its so embarrassing
to see all the other people, I don't know what they mean
it was magic at first, when they spoke without sound
but now this world is gonna hurt, you better turn that thing down
turn it around

it wasn't me, says the boy with the gun
sure I pulled the trigger, but it needed to be done
because life's been killing me ever since it begun
you can't blame me because I'm too young

you can't blame me, sure the killer was my son
but I didn't teach him to pull the trigger of the gun
its the killing on his tv screen
you can't blame me, its those images he seen

you cant blame me, says the media man
I wasn't the one who came up with the plan
I just point my camera at what the people want to see
its a two way mirror and you can't blame me

you can't blame me, says the singer of the song
or the maker of the movie which he based his life on
its only entertainment, as anyone can see
its smoke machines and makeup, you can't fool me

it was you, it was me, it was every man
we've all got the blood on our hands
we only receive what we demand
and if we want hell then hell's what we'll have

I would turn on the tv, but its so embarrassing
to see all the other people, don't know what they mean
it was magic at first, but let everyone down
and now this world is gonna hurt, you better turn it around
turn it around

Technorati Tags: ,

powered by performancing firefox

Comments