Interesting Articles I found laying about.

While cleaning up some of my random thoughts I had stored as notes in Performancing for Firefox (my Blog posting app of choice) I decided one longerish post was a lot better than 5 - 6 shorterish posts.... These are some random funny/sad/embarrassed to be an American links I've found over the last couple of weeks. Enjoy!

***********************
Timothy McSweeney on the Implausibility of the Death Star's Trash Compactor - A relly funny rant on how nobody in the Lucas' Universe with an ounce of brains would develop a trash system like the one shown..... or maybe they would after seeing The Holiday Special!

Founding Father were not Christians. I suspect that there will be a few {ahem} out there that will find this absurd although I'm not sure why. Writing straight from the mouths of our first few Presidents. Who knew they were Unitarians. Funny, I didn't know what a Unitarian was either.

Nude teens raise eyebrows - The first thing that comes to mind is that when I was a teenager, if I was in the presence of females in various states of undress and I wouldn't get in trouble for joining them.... I was there, Man! Today... Not so much. Too much nausea involved.... Vermont RULES!

Ben & Jerry's American Financial Pie. Ben from the famous ice-cream couple is an ardent Liberal and advocate of, believe it or not, governmental responsibility. On this site, try out the "Allocate the Federal Budget" to try your hand at parsing out the billions of dollars the government brings in each year. Also of interest is Bens' BB Demo where he show the number of nuclear weapons owned by the U.S. with BB's. Pretty amazing how many we have. Ben also started True Majority to help him get his message out to the masses. This online cartoon/interactive toy demonstrates how the government can redistribute our taxes to help fund schools, child healthcare, and move away from our dependence on foreign oil. Even if you disagree... he has some interesting thoughts.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

powered by performancing firefox

Comments

Unknown said…
It was a very interesting article about the founding fathers. I would suggest you also find a copy of Washington's farewell address and look at the body of work by Jefferson, esp. as Governor of Virginia. Were all of our founding fathers card carrying Christians, NO! Were all of them Unitarians or Deists, NO! From the research I have done, it appears that the majority were claiming Christians. I found it funny that this article claimed that Christians were trying to re-write history when it has already been re-wrote by the groups that want you to believe that none of the founding fathers were Christians. Do some further research on this and I will be glad to debate this on the facts of the case. You need to bring the facts with you of more than one article.

There is no debate that Franklin was not a Christian. It is well documented. I have not researched the body of works of Paine, Adams, Madison, or Allen to know their stances from the full body of their works. Of course, this is just a handful of our founding fathers. I would expect a variety of levels of faith from different founding fathers. Just as it would be when you get any group of individuals from different parts of the country together. I am sure that our founding fathers were a diverse group in their faith.
Bryan said…
Larry,

I didn't post the link to imply that I agreed with the article. I simply found it an interesting read.

I think that both you and him have interesting points in that I don't think that either extreme view on the faith of our Founding Fathers is correct.

If we could go back in time, we might be really surprised by how much and how little they actually stand up to the images we have of them, which is usually the case with any person that is placed on a pedestal.

One thing if find very interesting is that the writings of our "Fore-Fathers" is very inconsistent in their views of religion. Sometimes very anti-religion in government other times very anti-government in religion. Sometimes specific on their likes and dis-likes of religion and governments and many times not.

I saw it as a starting point for discussions not necessarily debates on what their views were.
Unknown said…
Sorry. I took it wrong. I read "I suspect that there will be a few {ahem} out there that will find this absurd although I'm not sure why." as a full endorsement of it. I apologize for blog squatting for it.