UPS is on my list.... And I ain't Santa!

Ok... I tried to be nice... I tried to be understanding... But this is just Too Much!

UPS has pi$ed me off in a royal manner!

Here the scoop. My wife ordered a gift for me from Amazon over a week ago and yes it was out of stock for 2 days, and yes Amazon said they were preparing if for shipping for two days (must have been difficult getting a 9"x4"x2" plastic container into a box the right size?) and yes Amazon promised the package would arrive BEFORE the 23rd (which it has) even though it shipped on th 21st. Yes, all of that is TRUE.

But..............

Here's the problem with UPS. I had plans to leave directly from work to go to St. Louis and I didn't want to have to go all the way home just to pick up this package. I'm traveling with another person since the rest of the family are already at my in-laws due to a death in the family. So...... I called UPS yesterday afternoon to have the package held in the Springfield distribution office so I could pick it up there. The response from the UPS rep? "I'm sorry, we can't make any changes to the destination address until the item is in the Springfield office." WHAT???? You are telling me that a multi-billion dollar company that can tell me with an accuracy of a 15 minute time span where my package is in the country can't make a change in the destination of a package so that the end office will know to take it somewhere else? Its not like I'm now wanting the package to go to LA or NYC... In fact, I was asking to have the package held at the distribution center. She did say that changes could be made when the package arrives at the distribution office.... so I wait until the Amazon site says that the package is supposedly in Springfield....

Flash forward 8 hours to 10:30pm. I'm now at home and I call again. This time I'm told that not only can they not change the destination on the package, but that I will have to have the drive attempt delivery ONCE before I can ask for a change? WHAT?????? I explained that I would not be home for the next 4 days and that I find it unacceptable that I couldn't get the package held for me. I also asked her to check to see if the package needed to be signed for.... The answer.... "I don't know that information. We aren't given that part of the tracking info." WHAT????? You can't tell me if I have to sign for a package? What the HELL do you know????? Then she says that actually they can send a "priority" e-mail to the springfield office AFTER the package arrives with a request to either have the package held or delivered to a new address. OH, so you were actually lying about the deliver once part.... I get it..... I just have to call around 7:30 CST and get the request in.

Flash forward another 8 hours. It is now 6:30am on the 23rd. Amazon says that the package is OUT FOR DELIVERY! What????? So I call the UPS number (1-800-PICK-UPS) and get a very nice lady who I tell the whole story to. She understands and says that she can send the "priority" e-mail to the Springfield office with the message to either hold the package or deliver it to my place of work. She also said that they should contact me by 10:00 am with which one they are going to do. OK... but... she forgets to check to make sure she has a phone number that I can be reached at... So I call back and at first get the message that all lines are busy and I should try again later... I wait 5 seconds.... And try again... This time I get through and finally give them my cell phone number so someone can contact me. I go to work and I wait.... and I wait... and I wait.... we get to 10:00 and no call... so I wait some more.... When I get to 10:30 I decide to call the 800 number again.... and this time the message has changed for the status of the package... It is being held for me it says and I can pick it up at the main office. GREAT! SWEET! No problem... I can do that over lunch... um.... right????

Flash forward 3 more hours. Lunch is at 1:00 so Larry and I head out to get my package. We drive 3/4 of the way across Springfield in lunch hour traffic and get to the UPS office only to find that the walk in is only open from 8:00a - 10:30a and then from 3:00p - 6:00p. First of all, nobody ever said, "Oh, by the way, our offices are open only during these hours." The reps didn't say it, the status on the phone didn't say it... And so far, nobody has called my cell phone number I left.... I'm getting pi$$ier by the moment!

Now to make a long (ahem) story short (cough)... I got off work early due to the holiday, drove back to the office, got my package after standing in line for 20 minutes, and got my package... But why was this soooooooo hard????? And why can't this multi-billion dollar company do a better job at helping its customers? Needless to say, I'm going to be contacting the company with my complaints... and blogging about my frustration is theraputic.... but if I have to send something anytime soon, you can bet that UPS will not be my first choice in carriers.

I did get my package and I'm now the happy owner of a Bluetooth headset for my cellphone. Christmas was great and the new year has started so I'm hoping that this was just a fluke since I really an Amazon addict and they since don't give you a choice of shippers I'm stuck being on the receiving end of these transactions. UPS... Please pay attention to your customers better... We could all use less headaches.... At least I could.

Bryan

Disclaimer: I started this on 12/23 and didn't finish it until 1/4 so I did have a bit of time to cool off... But I'm still ticked.

Comments

Duane k said…
Funny story (sorry to laugh at your expense). I've had a very similar experience with UPS. However, I work for a "large" company, specifically writing software to keep it running/competitive/etc. and I can tell you that sometimes the cogs, when that large, can turn very slowly.

Love the blog, keep up the posting!